Monday, February 6, 2017

"I Googled Myself And..."

When I googled "Danielle Garza" only one of my pictures showed up; none of my social media links were the first suggested pages. This however doesn't really surprise me because I haven't really been active with social media throughout the years. I did create a Facebook about 8 years ago (time really does fly!) but my internet presence was never really that heavy. 

After scrounging around Google I could only find one picture of me from Google +. Honestly, it's slightly disappointing, however it's quite relieving. I must have gone through at least 10 pages of results with no evidence of my online presence. I've never posted any crazy pictures of myself so even if someone did stumble across my virtual reality, I wouldn't have anything to hide.

I feel like as far as employers go, there's so much opportunity that the Internet could provide. The Internet is basically free advertisement; it's up to you whether to make it a positive or negative one. Let's say for example: Person A and B are applying for the same job. Person A is a heavy partier and has an extensive collection of pictures of the "cool" and "exciting" escapades of night life. Everything imaginable is on their social media account, as far as partying goes. Now go to Person B, who is involved with community service every weekend, has posted about their job opportunities, and posts positive messages online. The two people have advertised themselves in two completely different ways. Obviously Person B had advertised themselves positively, therefore creating encouragement for the employer. 

From this entire exercise, I would say I learned that I don't really have a significant social media footprint. I wouldn't really change anything that I'm doing, seeing as nothing I have online would tarnish my image in any way. However that doesn't mean that there isn't room for improvement! My goals for my online presence would include utilizing the Internet to promote myself in a positive way. Short, simple, and very beneficial for my future! 

1 comment:

  1. Although person A is way more fun....person B would definitely get the job over them. Not being super active on social media probably saved you the trouble of stumbling upon and unwanted photo one day lol

    ReplyDelete